Screen capture of participants at the BDC Meeting 12-9-20

December update on Ballard homelessness services/housing

For our final meeting of 2020, we focused on supportive housing and homelessness services in Ballard. Tune in to learn about the history and current status of some key facilities in our neighborhood, with a feature presentation by Plymouth Housing on a new permanent supportive housing building upcoming in 2021-22.

To efficiently navigate, below are links to specific portions of the meeting, which is archived on YouTube.

Some of the topics each speaker covered included:

• When was the facility established and how is it funded?
  • What are its main services/offerings?
  • How many people does it serve? How many people work there?
  • Are there any key challenges or changes to share?
  • How can local community members support them?
  • What is the best way to get in contact with questions or concerns?

Plymouth Housing

Presenters: Tim Parham (Director of Real Estate), Kathy Martin (Strategic Partnerships Manager), Lenna Mendoza (Communications Manager)

Overview of Plymouth as an organization, clientele they serve, development and operating principles.

Information about the new Ballard Crossing building to be built at 64th/15th NW — Construction is expected to begin in spring 2021 and finish mid-2022. The building will include 79 studio apartments for single adults who’ve experienced homelessness, as well as two studios for live-in staff, and ground-floor commercial retail space.

Building design review — Contact them if you have an opinion about the current color/design choices shown.

Follow-up questions from community:

• Ballard has some of the slowest Seattle Police 911 response times in the city.  Since this facility is your first outside of downtown Seattle, how are you modifying your safety planning for our neighborhood?
  • What is your average number of 911 calls per month? What incident categories could potentially lead to lockdowns at Ballard High School (one block away) according to Seattle Public Schools protocols?
  • What dialogue and planning are happening between school leadership, district leadership and Plymouth?

Contact info:

NYER URNESS HOUSE (Compass Housing)

Presenter: Hannah Mistry, Senior Development Manager

Overview of Compass Housing & Nyer Urness House — Established in 2013. Nyer Urness House provides 80 units of permanent housing to formerly homeless adults, with on-site case management and medical services (Neighborcare Clinic). The site can also be used as a mailing address for unsheltered people who need an address for voter registration, bills, etc. It is located in downtown Ballard at 1753 NW 56th Street.

Follow-up question from community: Do you have a “good neighbor agreement”?

Contact info:

BALLARD URBAN REST STOP & WHITTIER HEIGHTS TINY HOUSE VILLAGE (LIHI)

Presenters: Andrew Constantino (Low Income Housing Institute, Assistant Program Manager), Alyssa Colville (Manager, Whittier Heights Village Manager)

Overview of Urban Rest Stop and Tiny House Villages

Update on Whittier Heights Village

Contact info:

Follow-up question from community: When Nickelsville was on Market Street in Ballard, they were on a 2-year permit. Is that a limitation for current tiny house villages?

BRIDGE CARE CENTER

Presenter: Jenn Adams, Outreach Manager

Overview of Bridge Care Center — They offer outreach, resources and a day center as a faith-based ministry of Quest Church, with a variety of community partners and funders. They are located on the campus of St. Luke’s Church at 5710 22nd Ave NW, Bldg B (across from Ballard Commons Park).

Contact info:

PANEL DISCUSSION

• There is a concentration of service providers between  Ballard Commons Park and the Urban Rest Stop.  How do different providers collaborate and intersect? Is there currently any discussion of services providers working together to  decrease tension and problematic behavior in the area?
  • If the rate of moving people out of homelessness isn’t keeping up with the rate needed and rate being added to the houseless community, how do we make net progress versus treading water? What scale is needed? What are the bottlenecks and inefficiencies? How to prevent people from becoming homeless?
  • Are there plans to keep track of good neighbor agreements and update them to increase their effectiveness for the whole community? How are they working? What provisions do you think are helpful?
  • Are there lessons learned in Seattle around low barrier services that could be used in other communities (such as Renton, SeaTac, Bellevue) to develop best practices for holistic community safety for the housed and unhoused? How do we cultivate models that will work regionally, with visible community success/support
  • How can BDC better interact with service providers to get beyond basic information to help scale up more effective progress? Is there a way Seattleites can communicate with other local communities so we don’t end up with more and more concentration in Seattle, but work together better regionally?