Agendas, Notes & Videos from Past BDC Meetings
February 10, 2021 — Legislative Panel on Homelessness & Mental/Behavioral Health
Our February meeting featured updates from and a panel discussion with four local legislators: State Senator Reuven Carlyle, King County Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles, and Seattle City Councilmembers Andrew Lewis and Dan Strauss. Compendium of key moments with links to archived video.
January 13, 2021 — Market Street Developments
Jorden Selig of JSRA real estate development company and Bill LaPatra and Martha Cox from Mithun architecture company joined us to provide an overview of two new major building developments: 1145 NW Market Street and 2501 NW Market Street. The meeting included questions from Ballard community members who tuned in via YouTube.
December 9, 2020 — Ballard Supportive Housing & Homelessness Services
Our final meeting of 2020 focused on supportive housing and homelessness services in Ballard, including the history and current status of some key facilities. A recap and full video are available.
- Plymouth Housing (Ballard Crossing)
- Compass Housing (Nyer Urness, Neighborcare)
- Low Income Housing Institute (Ballard Urban Rest Stop, Whittier Heights Tiny House Village)
- Bridge Care Center
- and a roundtable discussion
November 12, 2020 — Community Service Officers (CSOs), LEAD, and CM Strauss
- Full online video available — Includes presentations and Q&A with:
- Seattle Police Sgt. Kevin Nelson and civilian CSO staff members
- Tracy Gillespie, Operations Director, LEAD
- District 6 Councilmember Dan Strauss
- Event announcement/agenda (includes additional background links)
October 14, 2020 — 36th District Candidate Forum
Six Ballard-area organizations helping pose questions to candidates Liz Berry and Sarah Reyneveld. View the full video on BDC’s YouTube channel.
September 2020 — BDC did not meet in September, following our “extra” August meeting (when we are typically on summer hiatus). President Brent Lackey sent this September email update. (Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be added to our email list.)
August 12, 2020 — SPU Ship Canal Water Quality Project & Seattle City Light Transportation Electrification
We had an information-rich set of presentations at our meeting on Wednesday 8/12/20 from Seattle Public Utilities and Seattle City Light, including remarks from two local artists about permanent art installations coming to Ballard. Big changes are underway on the waterfront at the base of 24th Ave NW.
July 21, 2020 — Councilmember Strauss Town Hall
Vice president of Ballard District Council participated in Dan Strauss’s Online Town Hall, providing a brief recap of the district council’s scope and history, as well as posing two Public Safety questions on behalf of the community.
July 8, 2020 — Market Street Developments
- Full online video available with detailed notes to jump to specific time marks
- Presentations included:
- Ballard Aegis presentation by Bryan Ziegler (949 NW Market St)
- Ballard Yards presentation by Frank Stiegl (2417 NW Market St)
- Land Use/Neighborhood Remarks by District 6 CM Dan Strauss
May 13, 2020 — Covid-19 Local Panel Update (Online Meeting)
- Full online video available with detailed notes to jump to specific time marks.
- Panelists included:
- Jody Grage, Ballard Community Taskforce on Homelessness & Hunger
- Mike Stewart, Executive Director, Ballard Alliance
- Rosemary Byrne, King County Health update on Ballard Farmers Market
- Seattle District 6 Councilmember Dan Strauss
- King County Councilmember Jeanne Kohl-Welles
- Community Q&A
- The meeting was followed by a community open mic night hosted by Grumpy D’s coffeehouse
March 11 and April 8 meetings had to be canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
February 12, 2020 — The Re-Opening of Webster School
- 2/12/20 Agenda
- My Ballard article with meeting synopsis (” A Closer Look at Licton Springs K-8 at Webster”)
January 8, 2020 — Senator Reuven Carlyle
- Washington State Senator Reuven Carlyle joined us to provide an update on his work representing the 36th Legislative District and answer a wide range of community questions. Thank you, Senator Carlyle!
December 2019 — Seattle Police Community Service Officer (CSO) Program, Incoming D6 Councilmember Strauss, BDC Board Elections
- Video of Seattle Police Community Service Officer (CSO) presentation
- Video of Incoming District 6 Councilmember Dan Strauss
- 12/11/19 meeting announcement with agenda details
November 2019 — Elder Care Presentation, Ballard Senior Center, New Kaiser Permanente Clinic
October 9, 2019 — King County Council District 4 Candidate Forum
October 2, 2019 — City Council District 6 Candidate Forum at Nordic Museum, co-hosted with Ballard Alliance
September 2019 — No meeting, due to two candidate forums being hosted in October.
August 2019 — Summer break. No meeting.
July 2019 — Interbay Armory Project, Ballard P Patch, Our Redeemers Safe Parking Program, Ice Cream Social
June 2019 — District 6 City Council Candidate Forum
May 2019 — Seattle Community Police Commission (CPC)
April 2019 — Dept of Neighborhoods (DON)
March 2019 — Crown Hill Upzone
- Due to severe weather, this meeting had to be postponed. The Seattle Community Police Commission is rescheduled for May 8, 2019.
January 2019 — BDC Member Organization Updates & Open Forum
In 2018, agendas featured a wide range of projects and issues, including:
- Councilmember Mike O’Brien District 6 Update and Q&A (including ADU/Cottage Legislation, MHA)
- BNSF Railroad Bridge Replacement
- City of Seattle Proposed New Tree Ordinance
- Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD)
- Ballard Alliance Update on Homelessness Outreach and Public/Health Safety
- WSDOT Viaduct Replacement and Hwy 99 Tunnel Opening
- Sound Transit 3 Neighborhood Input
- Major Building Developments (15th & Market, Ballard Blocks 2, Stimson Bay Office Campus)
- SPU Ship Canal Water Quality Project
- Safety at Ballard Commons Park
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.